3/2/11

Read Across America

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!!

This is one of my favorite weeks of the whole school year! 
So far, I have read 15 Dr. Seuss books to my class, including his biography, The Boy On Fairfield Street. We have several more to go- I can't wait!!

Here are some random facts about the birthday boy--

His first book was And to Think I Saw it on Mulberry Street. It was rejected 27 times before it was finally published.


He attended Dartmouth College where he was voted Least Likely to Succeed by his peers.

He began his doctorate at Oxford but dropped out to focus on writing and illustrating.

His real name is Theodore Geisel. He goes by the pen name Dr. Seuss (duh, I know.) Seuss was his mother's maiden name and the Dr. part was a label he put on himself. Occasionally he goes the pen name Theo. Lesieg, which is Geisel backwards. He used this name when he wrote, but didn't illustrate a book.

His dad was a zoo keeper, hince the book If I Ran the Zoo.


Dr. Seuss won the Pulitzer Prize in 1984 for outstanding contributions to children's literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!
Have a blessed day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...